The Fault in Our Stars Review

The Fault in Our Stars is one of those movies that takes you on an emotional roller coaster and leaves you sobbing at the end of the ride. It’s  one of those cancer movies  where love is so powerful that it cures everything…even cancer. So, you might expect a touch of clichéd romance,  as the the film sweeps the audience into a violent vortex.
But no. The film dodges most of the pitfalls of clichéd cancer dramas and it does this with humor and natural warmth. While The Fault in Our Stars is definitely a cancer movie, cancer serves only as the backdrop, not the focus, to the storyline. An adaptation of John Green’s bestselling novel, The Fault in Our Stars takes us through the journey of two teenage cancer patients Hazel (Shailene Woodley) and Gus (Ansel Elgort), who meet at a support group one day and slowly fall in love. Together, they share an acerbic wit and a disdain for the conventional that will fill you with surprise, and make you laugh out loud. While life-affirming Gus likes to have an unlit cigarette in his mouth to show his existential defiance, Hazel is obsessed with a novel called An Imperial Affliction, all about a girl dying of cancer, written by a reclusive writer Peter van Houten.
Whether it’s the tear-jerking scene of Gus’s pre-funeral, the crass attitude of Hazel’s favorite  writer Houten, or the emotionally  overwhelming scene when the star-crossed lovers kiss in the attic of Anne Frank’s House, nothing in the film conforms to real-life expectations…except for Gus’s tragic death. But even so, the film appeals to the audience because it explores the full spectrum of human emotions without resorting to exploitation. And instead of leaving us fighting over the Kleenex, The Fault in Our Stars leaves us with the hope that one day, we can also all find our own “little infinites…within the numbered days,” just as Hazel and Gus do.