‘Tis the season to get fit

In a vibrant, modern city like Taipei, there is always an endless array of intriguing activities open to the public. Running events have recently become a hot trend, featuring fun, social media-friendly themes and different categories for all types of participants, ranging from the serious runners to those who only do it for their Instagram feed. The chilly weather and festive atmosphere of the Christmas season make this time an especially suitable one for these types of runs.

OSIM Sundown Marathon

The Sundown Marathon, with the catchy tagline “Sleep Can Wait,” will be held at the popular Dajia Riverside Park on January 14, 2017. The founders of the Sundown Marathon were inspired by the intoxicating atmosphere of night racing. Their website advertises the heightened sensation offered by running after sundown, such as the “scent of the fresh night breeze mixed with your sweat and even tears” as well as “the coolness of the air as you take each stride.” With the night run, the Marathon offers participants the chance to find peace and focus completely on achieving their goal, whether it is a record-breaking time or simply achieving internal calm through exercise. The Sundown Marathon offers a 5KM, 10KM, half marathon or full marathon race, catering to all ages and abilities.

Electric Run

The Electric Run, to be held at Machangting Memorial Park on January 23, 2017, is a celebration of uniqueness and creativity. It is a mixture of the traditional running event and a mini-EDM festival, featuring different zones like the “Electro Rainforest” and “Powerhouse” set up with bold decor and thumping music. Merchandise available includes LED glow sticks and neon green wristbands, contributing to the Electric Run’s promise to be “the world’s brightest 5K.” After the 5km run, an open-air dance party with live DJs will finish off the event.

Zombie Run 2

After the excellent reception of the first Zombie Run held in 2013, the Zombie Run will return for a second time on December 17 at the Dajia Riverside Park. Participants have two intriguing “roles” to choose from. Zombies are tasked with stealing the lives of the humans over the course of the 3.5km run, and will have the opportunity to have their makeup done by professional makeup artists. On the other hand, humans will be supplied with three “lives,” represented by flags attached to red belts; their goal is to complete the race with at least one life intact.