REVIEW | "Kingsman: The Golden Circle"

[Photo courtesy of Vox]

Kingsman 2: Was it worth watching?

The three words from the title, originally attributed to 14th century bishop William of Wykeham, translate to “Manners make us human.” In Kingsman 2, the sophisticated secret service organization known as the Kingsmen, led by the gifted Eggsy (Taron Egerton), once again fight to save the world, while, of course, maintaining their most gentlemanly manners. The sequel to Kingsman: The Secret Service  begins with the talented young agent, Eggsy , living a fairytale life with his glamorous girlfriend, Princess Tilde of Sweden (Hanna Alström).

One evening, however, Eggsy encounters Charlie Hesketh (Edward Holcroft), a rejected trainee of the Kingsmen with a vendetta against the organization. Hesketh sabotages the Kingsmen’s mainframe under the direction of Poppy Adams (Julianne Moore), a drug trafficker who aims to commit mass genocide by poisoning all recreational drugs. Along with fellow Kingsmen Merlin and Harry, who was revealed to have survived the first movie in a trailer by Marv Films, Eggsy dashes across the globe to foil Adams’ nefarious plan. .
The sequel sports almost a brand new supporting cast around the returning core of Taron Egerton, Colin Firth, and Mark Strong. However, despite the film’s added star power, which includes Julianne Moore, Channing Tatum, Halle Berry, and Elton John, Kingsman 2 sorely misses the charisma of the legendary Samuel L. Jackson. Moreover, the sequel’s character development is poor, leaving the audience less invested in the fate of returning characters like Roxy.
In the movie, the character chemistry had to be rebuilt because Harry suffers from amnesia after being shot in the head. Regardless of the use of the “gel” technology, Harry still has a lot of catching up to do. Ginger and Merlin develop a great connection as they both talk loath for not being in the field. On the other hand, Merlin contemplates that Ginger will one day take the position as an agent. From the previous movie, Eggsy developed a strong relationship with Princess Tilde after saving the world from a mind controlling catastrophe. They further strengthen their bond by hinting each other about getting married. However, their relationship gets a little shaky when Eggsy told her that he had to “sleep with a women” for a mission. Despite Eggsy’s honesty, he and Princess Tilde put their relationship in a hiatus.
Nevertheless, the non-stop action of Kingsman 2: The Golden Circle does not disappoint fans of the franchise. The film’s elaborate fighting sequences and masterful CGI puts even Bond movies to shame. The movie also features intriguing cultural crossovers between the British and the Americans, as the Kingsmen seek help from their American counterpart, the Statesmen. In addition, the studio used the song, “Word Up” by The BossHoss, which is the country rendition of the original European-funk genre by Cameo. Though the action sequences seem to defy the laws of physics, they are entertaining enough to gloss over the problems with characters and earn the movie 3 out of 5 stars.