Tips for ringing in the new year

Where to watch the fireworks

Xinyi District’s New Year’s Eve celebrations are hard to beat: Taipei 101 boasts one of the best New Year’s celebrations around the world, with over the top fireworks and live music. But beware: the crowd will be huge. With all the traffic, you could be stuck on the streets for longer than you expect. Here are some alternative locations.

Tiger Mountain
While Elephant Mountain is a tourist favorite, Tiger Mountain is more of a hidden gem. This hike is about 15-20 minutes and is accessible through the Yongchun MRT station. It is perfect for photos and will most likely be much less crowded.
Songshan Park
This area has plenty of classy restaurants and open space, and is said to be a great place to watch the fireworks. If you arrive early, you can get tables and seats too.
Rainbow Riverside Park
Rainbow Riverside Park, which boasts an amazing view of the annual fireworks along the Keelung River, is both relatively close to 101 and less crowded. Many viewers will opt to watch from the nearby Da’an Park instead, leaving you with a larger chance of snagging a good seat.

Must-visit restaurants for New Years’ Eve

Celebrate the year with a wintry treat at one of these top Taipei restaurants.

Sugar Pea
16 Renai Rd., Alley 20, Lane 300, Da’an District, Taipei 106

Sugar Pea’s rising popularity has attracted many students in the past few weeks. Birthday parties, dates, and other special occasions have been hosted there. However, it also fits into the winter aesthetic. Charlene Tsai (‘19) says, “The whole aesthetic, the glass house, and the fact that it’s all white makes it feels very wintery.” Not only is Sugar Pea perfect for taking winter-themed Instagram photos, its cozy setting complements the healthy food and heartwarming food that the restaurant serves, such as the chipotle chicken bowl with quinoa.

Onefifteen
92 Daan Rd., Section 1, Da’an District, Taipei City, 106

Located next to a fashion boutique, Onefifteen’s innovative architecture fits right in with its chic surroundings. The store front’s high ceilings, glass windows, and wooden furniture give it a wintery feel. Charlene says, “Onefifteen has decent food, but its ambience is really what makes it worth the price.” Onefifteen also features a selection of salads, sandwiches, desserts, and drinks such as the Earl Grey latte and apricot pie—all perfect food for the winter.