REVIEW | Hong Kong egg tart hunt

Choosing to start our egg tart expedition on the first day of the Lunar New Year was actually the worst day possible to begin our tasting journey, but eventually we found one bakery that was open. When we arrived at Hong Lin Restaurant, a typical cha chaan teng situated on a busy side street of Mong Kok, we were greeted by a massive tray of freshly baked egg tarts. The locals clearly rated Hong Lin highly – within a minute, a lengthy queue formed along the sidewalk as passerby saw the piping hot tarts.

Hong Lin Restaurant

186 Tung Choi Street, Mong Kok

$7 HK ($26 NT)

Julian: Hong Lin’s tart fillings have a very distinct egg flavor, which is their biggest strength. However, the filling could have used more sugar to offset the egg. The pastry-based crust was too thick, flaky, and bland for my taste.
Rating: 2/5

Charlotte: Personally, I’m not a fan of the flaky crust, I prefer a chewy, buttery texture, but it wasn’t a deal breaker. This egg tart is a classic Hong Kong snack, reminiscent of the ones my grandparents would buy for me after school. The filling itself could be more watery. Also, I got yelled at while waiting in line which was not too pleasant.
Rating: 3.5/5

Macau Restaurant

25 Lock Road, Tsim Sha Tsui

$10 HK ($37 NT)

Situated in the popular tourist area of Tsim Sha Tsui, Macau Restaurant’s egg tarts are the most famous––and also the most expensive––of the three eateries we visited. Even at 9 a.m, a flock of mainland tourists were waiting to be seated, but luckily, we headed straight for their specialized egg tart counter. Macau Restaurant’s egg tarts are Portuguese-style, differing from the other two traditional Hong Kong tarts in their slightly bruleed filling and croissant-like crust.
J: I love Macau Restaurant’s Portuguese-style crust because it tastes buttery and rich, unlike many dry Cantonese pastry crusts.It’s also sturdier, helping the tart to hold the filling without sagging. The artfully burnt and caramelized filling is significantly sweeter than the other two. 
Rating: 4/5
C: This egg tart was basically what you would buy at KFC in Taipei — it’s very chewy, sweet, and  doesn’t collapse into a hot pile of egg when you attempt eat it. It tasted good and was a fun twist, but I’d rather have a real Hong Kong egg tart. 
Rating: 4/5

Tea Tower

143 Tung Choi Street, Mong Kok
$8 HK ($29 NT)
Tea Tower is another cha chaan teng, but with a slightly more modern, Western twist…

J: Though not as well-known for egg tarts as Macau Restaurant, this tart, in my opinion, is the best of the three. Like Hong Lin’s, this is a traditional Cantonese-style tart with a pastry crust, but Tea Tower’s excellent crust won me over. The slight sweetness of the pastry, as well as its softer, less crumbly texture, complemented the filling, while the filling itself balanced sugar and egg perfectly.
Rating: 5/5
C: Tea Tower not only offered the classic flavor but also a cheese-flavored tart that we adamantly insisted our Grandma on trying, which she probably enjoyed. Both egg tarts were amazing and had the perfect amount of sugar, and they were kept nice and warm as we bit into the watery filling.
Rating: 4.5/5