REVIEW | The best—and worst—of Netflix's summer 2018 shows

Tau (2.5/5)

Tau is a sci-fi horror movie that centers around an AI device called Tau, voiced by Gary Oldman. Tau’s creator, Alex, played by Ed Skrein, kidnaps Julia, played by Maika Monroe, in order to use her behavior to further develop Tau’s programming. The trailer for Tau promised a Saw-esque horror movie with an omniscient AI device as the villain. Unfortunately, Tau did not live up to my expectations at all. With numerous plot holes and a predictable storyline, Tau was nothing short of a knockoff version of past AI movies like Ex Machina. The horror aspect of the movie was a let-down as well.

Set it Up  (4.5/5)

Set it Up is proof that the decades-old romantic comedy formula works. As Netflix’s most recent rom-com original, Set it Up follows two miserable corporate assistants, Harper (played by Zoey Deutch) and Charlie (played by Glen Powell), who set up their bosses in an attempt to make their lives easier. In the process, they find that they have more in common with each other than their bosses ever did. The movie is a novel twist on a classic formula. Clichés like the setting being New York City, spontaneous meet-cutes, and over the top declarations of love are combined with vibrant dialogue and great acting to make the romantic comedy of the summer.

The Legacy of a Whitetail Deer Hunter (3/5)

The main character, Buck Ferguson (played by Josh Brolin) is the star of a series of viral hunting videos. In each episode, Ferguson hunts deer in the wilderness while being filmed by his cameraman. The movie revolves around Ferguson taking his son Jordan (played by Montana Jordan) to one of his hunts. The biggest problem is that, “The Legacy of a Whitetail Deer Hunter” runs out of steam. The final act, in which Hill and company try to get more serious, doesn’t work. It’s as if they came up with an interesting concept and went to the woods before they devised a way to end the film.