Chinese Honor Society hosts movie night for the first time

Ian H./The Blue & Gold

The Chinese Honor Society showed the movie “??,” or “Hear Me,” in the Annie Lu Lecture Hall on Thursday, April 4  from 4:10-5:55 p.m. It is the first time CHS has hosted a Movie Night event. CHS members sold Oden outside of the lecture hall for $65 NT each.
The movie is a love story about a deaf-mute professional swimmer’s younger sister who falls in love with the male protagonist, whose family sells box lunch and have to find a balance between taking care of her sister and fulfilling her romantic relationships.
The movie was recommended by Mandarin teachers who are often involved with CHS events. Catherine L. (‘19), president of CHS, said “We wanted to pick a movie that had a good moral lesson/message. When I first saw this movie, it was very eye-opening for me. Not a lot of people know much about the hearing impaired community, so we all thought this would be a great movie for others to see and learn from.”
“I think the event went really well [despite] it being the first time [it was held]. I was really happy that people were laughing and reacting to the movie,” Catherine said. Potential aspects that which could have been done better, as described by Catherine, was starting the movie earlier to allow students to view the entire thing before leaving, greater variety of food, and better publicization of the event.
“This year I was aiming to make CHS have more events to include the entire school community because I felt that before, a lot of the CHS events were only within the club and not for the entire student body,” Catherine said. More event such as the night market will also take place as part of this idea of including more of the student body. Surely more events are to come that which the TAS community can look forward to.