Happy 70th birthday to Taipei American School

[Nicole C./The Blue & Gold]

School is officially back in session, which means sleep deprivation, piles of homework, and constant stress. However, as we take time to settle into this new school year, we must also recognize the effort and hard work of previous generations of teachers and administrators who have paved the way to where TAS stands today. This year marks another milestone in the history of Taipei American School, as it celebrates its 70th anniversary since its founding back in September of 1949.
To honor this milestone, TAS will celebrate on Sept. 26 with a video of the past 70 years at TAS,  to show how TAS has grown and changed over the course of time. Members of the community will also share a few words, and a cake will be served to recognize this special occasion. The school will also celebrate with 70 portraits of people who have been a part of TAS over the years (some of them have already been featured on the TAS instagram account, tasnews).
We cannot talk about TAS’s history and members, without mentioning Mr. Richard Arnold, who is well known among Upper School students for his long career as a teacher, as well as his commitment to service clubs. Although Mr. Arnold has seen firsthand the numerous changes that TAS has gone through, he believes that one of the biggest achievements in TAS’s history has been the tight community created. “I think [TAS] has always been a united nation,” Mr. Arnold said. “We have created a group of alumni, citizens of the world, third culture people, that are friendly with each other, and [these] friendships are forever.” he said.