A letter to millenials: stop buying new phones

[PHOTO COURTESY OF DANIEL ROMERO ON UNSPLASH]

With the new release of the iPhone 11, it won’t be soon until we start wandering around the hallways seeing the flashy new phone gripped tightly in people’s hands. It’s also time to explore the question, should people buy new phones?
Firstly, to speak from personal experience, there are many struggles with receiving a new phone. I was lucky and received a iPhone X few weeks after its release date, its new features without a home button and dual camera really made it flashy and obvious for people to recognize. There were some struggles when I was outside of school with my new phone. It was impossible to walk five steps without receiving one judgemental look from a local shop owner, an old lady looking up from her Nokia flip-phone, or other kids my age who attend different schools. They all shoot me looks, as if they were labelling me “spoiled.” Right now, almost everyone has an iphone X or above, so the judgy looks really seem unnecessary now.
These effects are only my personal experience. Now let’s take a stance of the issue from a general standpoint. First of all, getting new phones are crazy expensive, there is no need for professional opinion on that, the majority should agree that as technology advances, prices of these items of luxury grow at a steady rate. CNBC tells you, “with few exceptions, phone prices from top brands are on the rise. The uptick is immediately noticeable when comparing phone prices from today with the same model released two or in some cases, three, years ago.
Apple’s prices have risen at a steady rate for both its standard size iPhone along with the Plus and Max lines, making the iPhone XS Max a luxury spinoff. Samsung’s Galaxy S, S Plus and Note prices are swinging upward too for standard models.”
Next, getting new phones also waste your time, the time you spend in exploring your phone when you get it, the time you spend when you are on ebay looking for the cheapest price and the phone with the best features. More lethally, the time we spend on our phone after we get them. Our focus as teenagers right now should be academics or even social events instead of wasting our time on these electric boxes filled with meaningless wires and pieces of metal. 
A 2016 study from Forbes followed the device usage of 100, 000 people over a five day period. By tracking every tap, swipe, and click participants made on their smartphones, researchers where able to deduce that the average user touched their phone 2,617 times every day. That’s over 2.42 hours of phone usage. What’s more alarming is that an estimated 47% of these interactions occurred on phones with locked screens, and researchers didn’t include them in their final touch tally. People could spend an additional 2 hours a day checking phones that aren’t even unlocked. A further study found that the lower the age group, the heavier device usage became, with people between the ages of 25 and 34 representing moderate to heavy usage every day. This suggests that millennials have a neurotic, compulsiveness that dominates how and when they use their phones. If left unchecked, this habit will consume much of the average millennial’s valuable time and energy.
Overall, the daily struggles on possessing a new phone and the harm it does to you are  the reasons enough for you to think twice when iPhone 12 comes out.