BREAKING NEWS | Sports banquet has been canceled

Sydney H. (‘19) was one of several seniors who was inducted into the Hall of Fame at the Sports Banquet last year. [PHOTO COURTESY OF TAS ATHLETICS]

Taipei American School’s annual sports banquet has been canceled due to COVID-19 health safety measures. Ms. Kim Kawamoto, Athletic Director, sent an email informing all student-athletes and coaches about this change earlier today. 
In the past, the annual sports banquet has been held at the The Ambassador hotel. Athletes, parents, and coaches, join together for a celebratory dinner to recognize the hard work and accomplishments of the student athletes. Varsity and JV teams recognize their Coach’s Choice and MVP; this event is also when students are inducted into the Hall of Fame. 
Senior Sarahi Z. (‘20), 2018 girls’ Interscholastic Association of Southeast Asian Schools (IASAS) cross country champion, said, “These past few months I had been looking forward to sports banquet a lot, I even had my outfit picked out. Since it was my last year attending it and I knew I had put in a lot of effort during both my cross country and track and field season, I was very excited to celebrate my accomplishments with my teammates and coaches. When I found out it was canceled I was honestly devastated, I cried about it knowing that what I had awaited ever since freshman year was canceled. Not being able to celebrate my last year of my running career at TAS is really upsetting, but I’m trying to think positively and be thankful instead.” 
Senior Jesse W. (‘20), three-time captain and 12-season-IASAS athlete, expressed that despite her disappointment, she is extremely unsurprised. “[Sports banquet] is important to me, but without it… it’s still fine.” Many students understand that the school must make difficult decisions under extraordinary circumstances. 
Yet still, uncertainty remains, especially among seniors, as they await official news about other events like prom and graduation. No official announcements about further cancellations have been released at this point.