Taroko Gorge: The mini “Grand Canyon” of Taiwan

[AMBER WU/THE BLUE & GOLD]

Taroko Gorge (Tailuge) is a popular tourist attraction with beautiful scenery in Xiulin Township, Hualien County. 
The marble-like structured canyon that sits in a body of sparkling clear water is the home to black ravens. In the distance, you can sometimes even hear the echoes of ravens. 
If you take the train to Sincheng, you will arrive at the entrance of the Taroko National Park. You can then take a 10 minute walk through a pathway that leads to the entrance of the cave, where tour guides will provide you with helmets. Tourists are required to wear helmets due to government regulations when walking in the cave’s pathway for safety, as large boulders often drop into the bottom of the valley.
As you walk further into the valley, you will notice that the temperature drops significantly as it is rare for sunlight to enter the canyon’s caves except the little openings between the boulders, where you can take beautiful photos of the scenery. 
Although the pathway is quite long and may take up a lot of time to travel from one section to the other, the gorge is definitely a place to escape from Taiwan’s humid heat as you can take beautiful aesthetic photos of the boulders and aqua colored streams.