excuse me i love you: A close-up high quality concert documentary

From enduring the Manchester Arena Bombing after her concert in 2017 to her late ex-boyfriend rapper Mac Miller’s death in 2018, Ariana Grande’s music career has taken many bends and turns.

Following the horrific events that played out in her life, Ariana’s Grammy winning album “Sweetener” (2018) and record-breaking album “thank u next” (2019) have explored the themes of hurting and healing, allowing her fans to understand both the pain and loss she was going through. 

Following the release of “thank u next”, Ariana embarked on the highly successful Sweetener World Tour, which ended up being her high grossing tour in her music career. The tour was highly praised for the high quality visuals and the iconic looks Grande displayed throughout the three legs. 

“excuse me, i love you” is a documentary that follows both the on-stage and off-stage scenes and events that occurred during the Sweetener World Tour, directed by Paul Dugdale. The Netflix original documentary dropped on Dec. 23, peaking at #2 in the top 10 list of movies. 

The film, named after the lyrics of “R.E.M.,” her favorite song in “Sweetener,” not only showcased Ariana’s vocal talents, but her backstage relationships with her friends, family, dancers, and more. The film also explores Grande moving on from her past traumatic experiences by focusing on performing for her fans and expressing her love for music. 

The film’s clips of the high quality visuals of the concerts are worth mentioning. The Sweetener World Tour’s visuals highly centered on the “orb” played in the middle of the screen on the main stage. The orb, dubbed as the “moon,” evolved during the longevity of the show, changing colors and aesthetics to suit the moods of the song that was performed. 

The short but sweet behind the scenes clips added more emotion and personality to the 97 minutes documentary. From Ari’s excitement at being part of Mariah Carey’s 2019 “All I Want For Christmas” video to her hanging out with her closest friends prior to the shows to emotionally expressing her gratitude for the show, the scenes allow fans to discover what their favorite artists did prior and subsequent to the shows.

“excuse me, i love you” captivates Grande’s fans by allowing exclusive looks and high quality clips of her concert, allowing the fans who didn’t attend the concert to experience close-up looks and those who attended the concert to relive the moment of fascination.