New Golf Facilities

by Claire M. (10)
On Wednesday, September 23, TAS finally unveiled its own golf-training facility, complete with putting green, chipping areas, and three hitting lanes–opening new opportunities for golf-loving students and golf fans alike.
The NT$2 million facility, which replaces the more than 30-year-old green, is the first real golf-training facility on campus. Donations for the project came from parents of middle, lower and upper schools. Located above the wellness center, its construction will help facilitate practice by TAS’s medal-winning golf team as well as introduce and promote the game among students.
“I am really excited about the new golf facilities because [they’ll] maximize the amount of practice time every day. Hopefully, both teams will benefit greatly. Consistent practice is crucial for this sport. All aspects of the game can be practiced and strengthened with the new facilities,” said Stephanie Cheng (12), who is on the Girls’ Varsity Golf Team.
The facility was built so golf practices could happen on campus. Previously, the golf teams were only able to practice twice a week because the drive to the golf course was 40 minutes long. As a result, practices were inconvenient and strenuous. Construction for the golf course started last summer in July, and finally finished on September 12th. The course went through two typhoons, sustaining damage enough to delay the finish date by three weeks.
While the course is not open to all students and is a supervised facility for identified golfers, it may become part of the life skills program in the future, as TAS wants to promote golf amongst students.
The Upper School golf teams have performed very well in the recent years, with both the girls’ and the boys’ team winning several bronze and gold medals in the last two years. Mr. Iverson, coach of the girls’ golf team, says that he expects an improvement in play. “With the higher specter of golf and the addition of this golf training facility,” he says, “the golf coaches are confident our player will get used to having medals around their necks at the end of each IASAS season.”
“It’s a great privilege that we get these new constructions,” says Jesse Kao (11), who is on the Varsity Golf Team, and was a representative for TAS at IASAS golf last year. “I am really looking forward to play and practice on this practice area and I am sure everyone else is too!”