BREAKING: Typhoon Talim moves past Taiwan

Screenshot courtesy of the CWB.

Taiwan’s Central Weather Bureau (CWB) issued an update at 5:30 P.M. this afternoon regarding Typhoon Talim, stating that it is currently 350 km away from the northeast coast of Taiwan.  However, the typhoon is predicted to change its northwest course to head further north, likely avoiding Taiwan. The CWB also announced that Taiwan is unlikely to close schools and businesses on Sept. 14.
The typhoon is on course to hit Japan and mainland China. According to the China’s Xinhua News Agency, more than 200,000 people in Fujian and Zhejiang provinces have already been evacuated.
The Bureau issued for heavy rain expected tonight until tomorrow in Taipei, Miaoli, and mountainous areas north of Taiwan. The maximum wind speed is currently 190km/h.
This time last year, Typhoon Meranti devastated Taiwan, China, and the Philippines and was one of the most intense tropical storms on record. In comparison to Meranti’s Category 2 classification, Typhoon Talim currently is ranked as a Category 1-equivalent typhoon.
A new tropical storm, Typhoon Doksuri, has already formed in the South China Sea: however, it is unlikely to impact Taiwan, according to the CWB. Instead, China will likely once again face the storm’s brunt. Meteorologists expect for Doksuri to strike land within 24 hours.
Featured image: Screenshot courtesy of the CWB.