New technology building to open in January 2019

The construction of the Tech Cube, a new building dedicated to STEAM, is well underway. Working closely with the building’s architects and developers, administration and board members have been overseeing the construction process. 

The Tech Cube will be open to students by January 2019, and superintendent Dr. Sharon Hennessy is confident that the building will be completed on time, saying that those involved in the project have “thus far found solutions to each and every unexpected problem.”

She credits this smooth process to a strong supporting staff, including lead consultant Mr. Steve Panta and Tech Cube Task Force chair Ms. Elizabeth Wang. “We had a great architect, and the construction team was also highly professional and very supportive of our goals for this fabulous new building,” she said.

The Tech Cube will help facilitate science, technology, engineering, art, and math learning curriculums at TAS. Dr. Hennessy said, “Each student at every grade level will have classes in the Tech Cube. The Tech Cube has been designed to be an interactive technologically based learning environment.”

The building’s interior was also designed to fit the needs of students and faculty working on design projects. Dr. Hennessy also pointed to the concrete floors, high ceilings, and all learning spaces as factors which will allow many students to perform independent projects at the same time. Other additions like a freight elevator will service students and faculty when moving large, heavy projects between floors.

The Tech Cube will be the largest STEAM-dedicated grade school building in Asia. In addition to the added spaces and facilities, the building will be able to accommodate a student’s needs and potential issues for years to come. Elizabeth Wang, vice chairman of the board and chair of the Tech Cube Task Force, said, “What’s most fascinating for me is that the building is meant to be a living breathing structure. This means that as the needs of the students change, the building will be able to accommodate those changes.”

In the future, Dr. Hennessy hopes that TAS will taking the school’s STEAM programs to higher levels, even after the Tech Cube’s construction. She said, “There is no end to the great ideas our faculty bring forward, and thanks to the generosity of the community our commitment to being the best for each student can be met.”

Read more about the Tech Cube:
  1. The Tech Cube: redesigning our future
  2. Breaking into the future
  3. New programs hurt old facilities
  4. Fitness Cafe closes for Tech Cube construction