Vocal Festival brings together TAS community

Photo courtesy of Matthew L. (’19)

On March 8, the annual vocal festival took place in the Guy Lott. Jr. Auditorium from 7-9  p.m.. Vocalists in fifth grade, middle school and Upper School performed various songs of different styles and culture for the audience. Grade 5 choir students performed two songs, “Halda” and “Over the River.” Middle school students, including the MS Combined Choir, MS Mixed Choir, and the Grade 6 Choir, performed a total of six songs.
For Upper School students, performing groups include the Concert choir, Opus, Bass choir, Treble Choir, Interscholastic Association of Southeast Asian Schools vocal octet and Musical Theater.
The vocal festival this year was quite different from last year. “This year, high schoolers are singing with Lower School and middle school choirs, which was a cool and interesting experience,” Jordan L. (‘20) said. Due to the fact that this is the first time the vocal festival included fifth graders, many Upper School performers felt motivated to set an example for their underclassmen. “I felt more mature as a performer and audience,” Yvonne K. (‘22) said.
At the vocal festival, students are brought together into a community. “We were brought together simply because we all love to sing,” Jordan said. Not only that, the vocal festival is completely focused on the power of singing. “It showcases how beautiful singing really is,” Emily T. (‘22) said. “I’d say the feeling was the idea that people are never alone in life, and that music will always be a source of lifting spirits, helping people make it through hard times,” Laura H. (‘22) said.
At the very end of the festival, the mass choir, which includes about 150 students, performed “Give Us Hope” by Jim Papoulis and “There Has to Be a Song” by Andrea Ramsey. “Having such a big group of people really helps send the message of the songs across, and was a great way to end the festival, as it leaves the audience on a strong note,” Yvonne said.