TASMUN hosts meeting of diplomats

The diplomats hosted a panel at Taipei American School on March 13. [Joon Kim/The Blue & Gold]

On March 13, 2019, the Taipei American School Model United Nations program hosted a high-profile emissary panel of current and former diplomats after school at the Winston Wong Lecture Hall.
The panel included Dr. Ryan S. Engen, an economic officer for the American Institute in Taiwan; Dr. Charng Kao, a former Deputy Minister of the Mainland Affairs Council; and Prof. F.K. Liu, the Dean of International College of Innovation at National Chengchi University.
The meeting was moderated by Mr. Jackie Lu, the chairman of the Taiwan-ASEAN Business Council.
Dr. Liu said one of his main concerns is China’s Belt and Road Initiative, global infrastructure development programs that are affecting southeast Asian nations.
“Under the table, they really want to work with Taiwan, but officially or publicly nobody else will come out and say that,” Dr. Liu said. President Tsai Ing-wen is aiming to cooperate with Southeast Asia to lessen China’s grip.
“Thank you, Dr. Engen, Dr. Kao and Professor Liu for giving us a front-row seat to learn about this pivotal point in history and challenges and opportunities that we have in Asia, and truly defining what will be your future global citizens and also citizens in Asia,” TASMUN Director Mrs. Darby Sinclair said.