Summer sports camps: A push to become a better athlete

Over summer break, a number of Taipei American students attended short-term sports camps to strengthen their athletic skills in preparation for the upcoming school year. In fact, many of the sports team coaches at TAS recommend student athletes to attend the camps to build valuable experience and confidence. 

Sara C. (’22) 
It was varsity girls basketball coach, Ms. Kim Kawamoto, who strongly suggested Sara C. (‘22)  enroll in the Point Guard College (PGC) Camp at California Lutheran University. Over the course of five days, Sara learned how to become a better basketball player, by honing her techniques and learning the mental game of basketball. 
“The environment was so different from what you would expect from a typical basketball camp,” Sara said. “We spent most of our time in the classroom rather than the gym, learn[ing] how [to] be mindful.”
Moreover, she faced some challenges such as adapting to the diversity and spirit at PGC camp. While dramatic expressions are often restricted in the TAS environment, they were celebrated at PGC camp. 
Regardless, after intensive game analysis and training at camp, she “learned about [her] mindset, leadership and how to take control of the game.” Sara thoroughly enjoyed the summer camp, and “[is] already planning to return to PGC next year.” 

Danielle L. (’22)
In the varsity cross country team, Danielle L. (‘22) went to Green Mountain Running Camp at Kimball Union Academy in Meriden, New Hampshire. The camp acquainted her with different speeds for different workouts and helped develop her ability to pace herself. She ran twice a day: one long run on a hill in the morning and another on the track in the afternoon. 
Like Sara, Danielle decided to go to the camp because girls varsity cross country coach, Mr. Steve Anderson recommended it to the runners in preparation for the upcoming season. 
As a relatively new runner, who started running last year, she was intimidated by many of her campmates who were talented and had a lot of experience.
 However, she managed to overcome the pressure. “I just had to remind myself that running is all about challenging yourself, and about breaking your own personal best and not someone else’s,” Danielle said. 
Overall, she learned to love the process of running at camp. “I learned to not be focused on the races, times, or how you’re doing compared to others, but to enjoy the workouts and the people you’re running with.” Danielle said. 
Provided the motivation and the right environment, the student-athletes at TAS seem to thrive at summer sports camps.