Guangfu Village: the perfect place to explore Taiwanese history

Guangfu Village, located in Taichung, Wufeng District, holds a special charm to it as it was the first village to be built after World War II. It was originally  a place for veterans and their families to seek shelter post-war. However, it soon expanded and became a place that encapsulated the concept of a “garden city.” Both the residential spaces and green living spaces were integrated in order to create a design unique to this village. Now, this village is also home to artists and entrepreneurs showcasing their artwork and handmade ornaments inside quaint shops.
I would recommend this place during the afternoons over the weekend  as more shops and restaurants are open. One of the highlights of this village is a small painting school. The school has a small garden inspired by those in Europe and was built by 10 teachers who volunteered to teach disabled children how to paint. The teachers there are very friendly and enthusiastic and will show you around their facility or offer you tea. This area is an amazing place to take Instagram-worthy photos as well as to feel inspired by their dedication to their work. This is also a great place to buy souvenirs or other handmade products such as dried flower bouquet, handmade copper jewelry and aesthetically pleasing postcards. Overall, I enjoyed the coziness of this small village and the history behind it.