New year’s resolutions to upgrade your 2021

[SHARON LEE/THE BLUE & GOLD]

2020 has been a tough year filled with drastic changes and uncertainty. During a time like this, many of our daily habits and routines have been disrupted. However, the start of a new year is the perfect time to reflect on our health and set new goals for the upcoming year. 

Here are some healthy habits to kickstart your 2021!

1. Drink a glass of warm water every morning 

Drinking warm water the first thing in the morning cleans out the toxins in your system and rehydrates your body. It also helps with digestion, and can make you feel more awake in the morning. 

2. Set up a gratitude jar 

Practicing being grateful has been scientifically proven to increase self-esteem and optimism. A gratitude jar allows you to reflect on what you are grateful for by writing them down on slips of paper and storing them in a jar. Doing this every day or every week shifts your attention to the positive aspects of your life. This not only allows you to be more mindful, but has also been linked to better physical and psychological health. 

3. Set up a 2021 physical or digital planner 

Setting up a planner allows you to note down upcoming appointments, assignments and reminders, so that you can easily plan ahead and organize how you spend your time. Updating your planner also helps you remember your tasks and stay on track. 

4. Limit your screen time 

It is very easy to lose track of time when staring at a screen. Instagram, Facebook and TikTok’s never-ending posts and videos can keep you distracted for hours. Combined with the time spent doing school work and homework on your laptop, this could mean that you are spending almost every waking hour staring at screens. This can not only cause headaches and eye strain, but can also decrease your concentration. Too much screen time has also been linked to numerous health and mental health issues. 

Some ways to limit your screen time include setting screen time reminders or limits on your phone and laptop. Going on walks throughout the day can also clear your mind and give your eyes a short break.