Cycling around Taiwan

Day 1: Taipei – Toufen (109km) 

Day 2: Toufen – Lukang (100km)

Day 3: Lukang – Chiayi (79km)

Day 4: Chiayi – Kaohsiung (121km)

Day 5: Kaohsiung – Kenting (116km)

Day 6: Kenting – Taitung (138km)

Day 7: Taitung – Hualien (111km) 

Day 8: Hualien – Yilan (60km) 

Day 9: Yilan – Taipei (130km)

Over spring break, some students and I biked around Taiwan, going down from the west and coming back from the east. Waking up early and biking for nine days straight was an interesting way to spend my break. Cycling around Taiwan was very tiring but definitely still a very memorable experience. While biking, it felt endless as we covered long distances everyday. However, each day when I arrived at our hotel, I felt relieved and accomplished as I am one day closer to my goal. 

Since we were biking for most of the day, we didn’t get to stop to visit our scenery of choice. However, along the way, we passed a few such as the Lungshan Temple or the Xiluo Bridge. Though we couldn’t stay long at one place to really take in the whole scenery, it was still nice to have a brief idea of a different part of Taiwan. 

If you are planning on taking this trip, I would strongly recommend doing it with a group of friends or family along with a professional group to guide you through the trip. You also have to plan everything beforehand as you are constantly moving, never going to the same place twice. If you really enjoy biking and want to challenge yourself, I would recommend taking the time over break to bike around Taiwan.