Reviewing Current Spring Bops

Spring is often seen as just a prelude to summer, and that includes new music in preparation for blasting the radio with the windows down or vibing by the beach. “Heartbreak Anniversary” by Giveon, “deja vu” by Olivia Rodrigo and “Peaches” by Justin Bieber featuring Daniel Caesar and Giveon, have recently taken the teenage world by storm, plastered all over Spotify charts and Tiktok “For You” pages. 

Heartbreak Anniversary – Giveon

4.5/5

Rising R&B superstar Giveon released his single, “Heartbreak Anniversary,” in February of 2020. However, the song only started to gain major traction recently, especially after Giveon premiered the official music video about a month ago along with his EP “When it’s All Said and Done… Take Time.” The song depicts the anniversary of a break up, along with the raw emotions surrounding the intimate moment. Giveon has an extremely unique voice that almost reminds me of the Jazz Age — it’s buttery, baritone, warm and creates this hauntingly beautiful sound that is powerful and evocative yet soothing to the ear. Giveon has a bright future ahead, with collaborations with big-name artists like Drake and Justin Beiber along with a Grammy nomination for “Best R&B Album” already under his belt. Check out Giveon’s “Heartbreak Anniversary” for some impressive vocals on an entrancing ballad. 

deja vu – Olivia Rodrigo 

4/5

How do you return for an encore after releasing a song that broke the Spotify record for the most streamed song in a day with 17 million streams and hit No. 1 on the charts within a week? Just ask Olivia Rodrigo. The 18-year-old Disney star recently followed her first single and overnight sensation “drivers license” with “deja vu,” a more upbeat song that also follows a storyline — one that many fans believe almost picks up where “drivers license” left off. Through the psychedelic vibes of the music video, Rodrigo is portrayed as realizing how her ex-boyfriend is now doing all the same things with his new girlfriend. I really enjoyed this song as well as the overall aesthetic of the video, and I also have to admit that the lyrics were stuck in my head for several days after listening to it just a couple times (probably because it was also all over my Tiktok feed). Although it didn’t top “drivers license,” I think that it’s definitely a great addition to her repertoire as a blossoming artist, and I’m also excited for her debut album “sour” that will be coming out in May. 

Peaches – Justin Bieber ft. Daniel Caesar and Giveon 

3.5/5

Justin Bieber is one of those artists who can disappear for a while then come back and immediately drop another banger album without missing a beat. In his song “Peaches,” which is a standout on his new album “Justice,” Bieber sings about traveling and a long-lasting romance (likely alluding to his relationship with wife Hailey Baldwin). This song was an immediate favorite for me, with the major summer vibes almost giving it a nostalgic feel. However, I have to say that it almost felt like R&B artists Daniel Caesar and Giveon outshined Bieber on the track, with their smooth vocals and soulful qualities really elevating the sound and giving life to the (pretty basic) lyrics. Although the lyrics were a lot less meaningful compared to the songs discussed above, it’s still an undoubtedly catchy bop that will carry well into the summer months. I also think this feature is a great way for Caesar and Giveon to gain more exposure for their own work, especially when combined with the undeniable timelessness of Bieber.