TAS enforces new health guidelines amidst Taiwan’s recent COVID-19 outbreak

The H block sky bridge has additional study areas available to students. [LAURA HSU/THE BLUE & GOLD]

Due to the recent outbreak of COVID-19 prior to the the first day of the 2021-2022 school year, several places on campus have been modified to accommodate the new guidelines for health and safety, including the Legacy Commons.

TAS has announced the new health guidelines starting at the beginning of the school year. These guidelines include keeping masks on all day except when eating.

In addition, students must carry their bags during the day. Lockers will only be available to those who request for one.

Students are also not allowed to place their bags on empty tables in the Legacy Commons or Upper School Information Commons.

Students are also encouraged to eat in additional areas that have been added. There is a maximum capacity per table, and extra chairs may not be added to a table. In fact, plastic dividers were added to lunch tables as well. Students are asked not to congregate in large groups when eating or chatting.

“I understand that it is necessary to enforce these protocols, but it is difficult to communicate with my friends during lunch,” Kristine C. (‘23, she/her) said. Though communication between students may be inconvenient, social distancing is essential during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Other than additional eating areas, many more spaces were added to C and B blocks. More spaces are also added to each floor outside upper school classrooms. “I really like the new study areas that have been added, now I can do work near the classroom and avoid the summer heat.” Taarini S. (‘23, she/her) said. Students will be able to enter classrooms that have been marked as open during study hall or flex.

Monitors will be in the Legacy Commons, the courtyard and the Fitness Cafe to ensure that students are following the new health and safety guidelines. Further directions will be given to those who do not follow these health protocols amidst the COVID-19 pandemic.