Wanted: homes for athletes

IASAS doesn't work without housing
housing quote
“We really struggle with it every single event. Every single time.”
TAS may be a top contender in multiple IASAS events, but the one we consistently fail in is housing.
When emails are sent out to our athletes requesting more people to house, it’s serious. The small number of people willing to house has increasingly become a huge problem at TAS. As part of the IASAS program, we’re required, as a school, to provide a place to stay for IASAS athletes from other international schools who travel here for our hosted events.
The first IASAS event held at TAS this year, soccer, started off on a low note in terms of finding adequate homes for athletes. With just a week before the arrival of international competitors, five houses were still needed for a few players. Even on the arrival day for the competition, no homes had been volunteered for these athletes, meaning that Mr Gray had to house them in his own house.
An interesting trend is that girls usually have little to no trouble with getting their needed housing, but that’s not so much the case with boys.
“We have quite a few girls, but very few boys that want to house. There is a very large discrepancy between the number of girls housing versus the number of boys housing,” Mr Gray said. “We actually have extra girls this time. Pretty much all the girls who are in sports who’ve said that they would house are housing.” There are even four to five girls who had volunteered to house boys. A couple of them housed up to four or more players.
The housing dilemma has caused for a much needed and immediate change in this policy in the future. “Next season, we won’t be giving jerseys to players until they’ve confirmed they’ll house for events. There are some rules we have to change, so we’ll have to be tougher on that.”