Robocop: Crime's latest nemesis

Robocop-movie-first-look-poster-2013-2014 Why are people so afraid of a world where flesh and blood policemen are replaced by robots? America is robophobic because the American public believes that a robot has no conscience and that it doesn’t know what it feels like to be a human. The latest film to play to this fear, Robocop is set in 2028 United States when Alex Murphy (Joel Kinnaman), a loving husband, father, and honest cop, is critically injured in the line of duty. OmniCorp, a multinational conglomerate producing robot technology announces a new product, RoboCop, a part-man, part-robot police officer that provides the perfect synthesis of a robot’s strength and a man’s emotions. But tension arises when OmniCorp seeks to maximize its own profit. In fact, Omnicorp’s military tactician, Rick Mattox (Jackie Earle Haley), has always been skeptical of Alex’s abilities and has planned to use him just to gain public acceptance of his robot technology. So when the American public finally turns in favor of RoboCop, Rick seizes a chance to market his pure-robot drones for a whopping profit. Alex, who is already emotionally fatigued due to a long-time separation from his family, eventually finds out about Rick’s plan through Dr. Norton (Gary Oldman) and seeks revenge. RoboCop, filmed primarily in Toronto and other parts of Ontario, is directed by José Padilha, a Brazilian film producer. Padilha achieved international acclaim when he won the Golden Bear Award for his film, Elite Squad in 2008 at the Berlin Film Festival. Joel Kinnaman,who plays Murphy, is a Swedish-American actor, whose role in the Swedish film Easy Money (2010) earned him a best actor award and brought him attention in Sweden and abroad. RoboCop is a remake of the 1987 film of the same name and a reboot of the RoboCop film series, making it the fourth installment of the franchise. To gamers, what’s more exciting than a film remake is the release of the RoboCop video game for Android and smart phones in a couple of months!