Halfies of the food world

For a generation that has been brought up on “hipster food” (read: some type of spinach and apple smoothie put in a mason jar then posted on Instagram), the rise of hybrid foods comes as no surprise. Simply defined, a hybrid food is a dish which seemingly unlikely partners combine into one. While some groupings are downright questionable (waffle tacos? quesadilla hamburgers?), others have made a significant impact on the gastronomical scene, inspiring chefs and tantalizing taste buds.
1. THE CRONUT
cronut_2575295b
Perhaps the most notable hybrid dessert to date, the cronut is simply what its name suggests: a glazed butter croissant shaped into a doughnut-like ring. Attributed to a bakery in New York, other countries have attempted to mimic this pastry, but to no avail. Lines outside Dominique Ansel Bakery in New York City extend around the block, with people buying cronuts in bulk to sell at astronomical prices online.
2. THE RAMEN BURGER
o-RAMEN-BURGER-REDDIT-facebook
A mixture of two cultures, this savory dish features a beef patty sandwiched between two buns made of ramen noodles. The burger is then topped with sauce and bok choy, perfecting a culinary East-meets-West marriage of flavors. It’s a weird concept, but apparently it’s the ultimate cure for late-night food cravings.
3. THE TURDUCKEN
foo_ck_turducken_1223
While Thanksgiving has come and gone, this bizarre hybrid food is here to stay. This dish is a poultry take on Inception: a chicken stuffed inside a duck that’s stuffed in a turkey. Perfect for when you’re craving a salty protein overdose.
4. THE PIZZABON
ku-xlarge
Akin to its (slightly disturbing) cousin, the waffle taco, the Pizzabon is comprised of a Cinnabon cinnamon roll topped with tomato sauce, cheese, and pepperoni. We’re not sure how this savory/sweet combination will taste, but we can only imagine the impact on your waistline after consuming upwards of one thousand greasy and sugar-laden calories.