Yale is coming to town #YMUN-Taipei

1240450_210357615821178_1150113135_n
“My session was complete with battle simulations, espionage, and betrayals,” said Claude S. (11). “Yale MUN itself with its events was enough to blow my mind.”
In his Roma Eterna specialized crisis committee, delegates “chariot raced” around the committee hallways and drafted assassination plots on paper for submission when the crisis escalated into an all-out civil war.
“YMUN is a completely new experience for me. It was interesting to meet delegates from places like the Dominican Republic and Brazil, and its events and fascinating committees exceeded my expectations,” he said.
This year during Chinese New year Break, eight students from Taipei American School flew half across the world to Connecticut and trekked through knee-deep snow to attend the fortieth session of the Yale Model UN Conference (YMUN) hosted by Yale University from January 23-26.
“I had a wonderful time at Yale MUN,” said Kavya N. (8). “I was amazed at how intelligent and confident the delegates were.”
YMUN is a world-class conference that annually provides opportunities for high school students to engage in intense discussion over pressing world issues that face our generation today. This year, over 1400 high school students from all over the globe attended YMUN in Connecticut, making it an extraordinary gathering of passionate and driven delegates discussing international relations and diplomacy.
“One of my favorite parts of the experience was the Global Exchange Program,” said Janice Y. (8). “In this program, we heard lectures from Yale professors who talked about interesting current global issues, such as cyber warfare and the Rwandan Genocide.”
“What was cool was I got to see what Yale was like,” said Andria T. (11) who attended as a delegate in the World Health Committee. “Our chairs and admins were Yale students, so they talked to us about their experiences. We also got to see the Yale Showcase where Yale students held performances ranging from singing to dancing, slam poetry, and theater.”
This May, Yale MUN will be coming to Taiwan. Yale students plan to bring this unparalleled and truly unique Yale MUN experience to Taipei. They welcome all high school students from Taiwan and South-East Asia to attend the inaugural YMUN Taipei conference which will be held from May 23 to 25.
“It is my sincere hope that this year’s conference will provide delegates with the most educational, inspiring, and rewarding experience possible,” said Grace Chiang, Secretary General of YMUN. “We hope to encourage our delegates to become more engaged with their communities and to develop a greater global awareness. We want them to walk away with not only knowledge of international relations, but also how they can act as leaders to make a social impact.”
YMUN Taipei will feature admissions panels, workshops, academic panels, and a leadership summit to foster youth leadership. The Model UN workshop will provide students of all backgrounds the chance to improve their negotiation and public speaking skills. Students will also have the opportunity to listen to prominent leaders in the government and Yale University students who will speak about their college life and own areas of study.
“Ultimately, YMUN Taipei seeks to create an opportunity for learning both in and out of committee rooms, aiming to inspire delegates to be socially active and engaged,” said Rebecca P. (11), the Assistant secretary general for outreach at this year’s YMUN-T.
“I’m really looking forward to the upcoming YMUN-Taipei conference in May and being able to share our incredible experience at Yale MUN with other delegates,” said Kavya, a Yale MUN veteran.
Please note that registration for YMUN-Taipei is open to all high school students, and that no previous experience is required.
The YMUN-Taipei secretariat highly encourages all students to register for Yale’s first on-island Model UN conference!
So mark your calendars for May 23-25 and make sure to register by March 16.
For more information, please visit the YMUN Taipei website!