Built to replace: Taipei Children’s Amusement Park welcomes large crowds

photo 4
“Oh. My. Gosh. There’s no way I’m going through this crowd. I’m going home,” I groaned as I stared at the lines. “There’s no way I’m spending 60 minutes of my life queuing for a ride.”
I ended up queuing anyway. But really, even more than a month after its opening, the Taipei Children’s Amusement Park had lines for practically everything. Now rewind a little bit back to earlier in the day.
I met up with my friends whom I talked into coming with me to the amusement park and we met at the Shilin metro station slightly after lunch. From there, we took the free shuttle service provided to the amusement park.
First opened on 16 December 2014, the amusement park was built to replace the children’s amusement park previously located in Yuanshan, the amusement park is divided into three different themes: Fantasy forest and Dream Ocean; Magic planet; and Toy Soldier Kingdom featuring 13 different amusement rides such as the pirate ship, ferris wheel, and bumper cars.
photo 1
Prices of the rides vary between TWD $20 and TWD $30 and admission to the amusement park comes in three demographics: TWD $30 (for adults), TWD $15 (for concession) and TWD $21 (for group). The Easycard(???) can be used to  pay for admission and facilities, which I have to admit, is really convenient.
The estimated waiting time for each ride is about 30 to 40 minutes on average during weekends and on holidays, hence due be prepared to brave the crowd should you choose to visit it then.  I was only patient enough to spend time queuing for “Telecombat”, which had the shortest queue, though the wait was still 30 minutes long.
I then spent the rest of the day exploring the amusement park, where there were various facilities such as the indoor playground and children’s theatre, which were not as crowded as the rides themselves.
The amusement park is open for business from 9am to 5pm Tuesday through Friday and closing time will be extended to 8pm on Saturday as well as during local summer and winter breaks. However, do note that the amusement park will be closed on Mondays and Chinese New Year’s Eve.