Harvard MUN Team gets Stuck in the Boston Snowstorm

Seven upper school students and their coach Dr. Soublet and chaperone Dr. Aiani recently traveled to Boston to participate at the Harvard MUN when they were ambushed by a snowstorm.

“You can only do so much in Taipei to prepare for a Boston winter,” said Dr. Soublet

When the storm, according to the Boston Globe, “brought more snow in seven days than in any stretch of that length in more than a century” hit the east coast, the team found out their flights were delayed. Instead of passing through Tokyo, their flights got rerouted through London and Hong Kong.

The group headed back to the hotel from the airport, huddled together against the biting wind, waiting at the open metro stop in the snow. “It took us 50 minutes to get there and it took 3 hours and 3 train transfers to get back to the hotel,” said Dr. Soublet. “There were giggles but not good giggles. And lots of stamping of feet.”

harvard mun
The Harvard MUN team poses for a selfie at Summer Shack, where they ate lobsters and met up with Nick Ackert. [Via Samuel Biddick]
They returned late yesterday, after 18 hours in the air.

Here are some of the best moments of their trip.

Kavya Nayak (9): “I was interviewed by the Boston Fox News during our delays.”

Claude Su (12): “[We] met Nick Ackert (TAS Alumnus, Class of 2013) for dinner.”

Samuel Biddick (11): “To pass the time yesterday, we had a snowball fight in [the] Harvard yard.”

Wesley Lewis (11): I met some friends from my old school. The world is a small place. Also, we ate P F Changs.