SJW Spotlight: Christine Lin, Arts and Culture Editor

When you write a story in journalism class, you’re doing more than just homework. You’re not just churning out another 2000-word history essay on a topic you don’t really care about, completing math problems just to get them over with, or completing an assignment because the teacher will be checking it next class. That’s what sets journalism class apart from any other class in school: you’re not doing something just because the teacher told you to, you’re doing it because you want to.

Journalism is a class where you get to write to express yourself and talk about the things that really matter to you (whether it is something as lighthearted as a new cafe that opened in Taipei or something as serious as cheating at TAS). You write to improve and enrich yourself, and the work you do everyday benefits you.

In journalism, you get to bring up issues that nobody talks about, start conversations around TAS, and interview interesting people you might never have talked to. I have made new friends through journalism, become more comfortable with interviews and talking to strangers, and improved my confidence. That may sound strange, but it’s true, because in journalism, you’re not just sitting in front of a sheet of paper and writing alone. You’re talking to other people, getting their thoughts, ideas, and opinions, and interacting with the community around you. You’re putting your work out there for other people to read and judge, and constantly improving and responding.

But most importantly, journalism is about anything you want. Journalism is not limited to articles you might find on CNN and BBC, and it is not limited to news writing. In journalism, you can write about anything: arts and culture, opinion, feature, or a review and even explore newspaper layout design, photography, and video. Journalism is more than just describing an event: it’s about starting conversations, creating something you are proud of, and having your voice heard.

There are few things better than putting your hard work into an article or layout page, seeing the final product printed out, and hearing someone say they enjoyed reading your article. High school might be the only time you get the rare opportunity to have your work distributed and published to the entire student body. You get to open your eyes to what is going on around you, improve your people and writing skills, and make your own voice heard. What could be better than that?