Rio Olympics: fantastic or flop?

Flops of the Rio Olympics

The Mysterious Green Pool: The diving pool turned green and smelled like fart on the fourth day of the Olympics due to a change in the pH level. This brought out the color of minerals like copper.

Capybaras overrun golf course: Capybaras, native to South America, are the largest rodents in the world, roughly the size of dogs. They were also joined by sloths, boa constrictors, monkeys, and owls.

Fake gunpoint robbery story:  US swimmer Ryan Lochte claimed that he and three other members of the swim team were stopped by men claiming to be police officers while in a taxi, and then robbed at gunpoint. In fact, the swimmers were drunk, vandalized a gas station, and were stopped by a security guard with his gun out.

Fantastic Moments of the Rio Olympics

David Katoatau’s dance for climate change: David Katoautau, a weightlifter from the Pacific island of Kiribati, caused a media sensation when he did a dance after dropping his weights. He wanted to raise awareness of how climate change is threatening his nation, which is in danger of being submerged.

Lee Eun-ju’s selfie: Lee Eun-ju, a South Korean gymnast, promoted Korean reconciliation by taking a selfie with a North Korean gymnast, Hong Un Jong, 27, during a training session.

Prime Minister “Mario”: At the closing ceremony on August 21, where the Olympic flag was officially passed to Tokyo for the 2020 Olympics, Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe rose out of a huge green pipe dressed as Super Mario.