Train to Busan

TRAIN TO BUSAN, a South Korean blockbuster zombie thriller film directed by Yeon Sang-ho, has been receiving great attention in the Cannes Film Festival 2016, where more people attended the film’s midnight opening than at any other midnight screening in Cannes history. It was produced by great actors and mainly, Gong yoo, Kim Soo-Ahn, Jung Yu-mi, Ma Dong-Seok, Sohee, and Choi Woo-Shik. To briefly introduce these actors, Gong yoo, Jung Yu-Mi, and Ma Dong-Seok have been acting for many years and adept at theater. Kim Soo-Ahn, only 9 years old, has given the audience a great emphatic moment as a main character. Also, there is a lovely couple, Sohee, appearing for the first time from a singer to an actress, and Choi Woo-Shik, who debuted 5 years ago as a supporting role, but they both nonetheless showed maturity as actors.

“QUICKLY! RUN!” Train to Busan is a  somewhat traditional  zombie horror-thriller that follows terrified passengers in KTX, a train with the final destination of Busan, fighting their way through the countrywide unidentified viral outbreak. Through every person’s struggles to survive, a variety of personalities were illustrated by the intimidating situation they are in. There were great tension during the movie, with the sound effect being the main aspect. The great surprise after the moment of silence is used a lot in this film to have the abrupt thrill moment.  

You may have reluctance to watch“zombie movies” because it can be too predictable and obvious. Surprisingly, the actors totally flipped my clumsy opinion about the film. The cast’s superb acting skills left me crying non-stop. It is ironic because this zombie movie reminds me as a thriller and scary film, but instead, it illustrated poignant emotion from the half of the movie. Throughout every scenes, each character displayed unique personalities. For example, there is a selfish men Yong Suk, acted by Ui-Seong Kim, who only cares about his own survival. Also, an engine driver acted by Seok-Yong Jeong who held the responsibility of making sure every passenger survives.

If I rate this movie, it would be around 4 from the range of 1 to 5. The repetition of many zombies can lead to boredom so 1 point is deducted. However, throughout the movie, many valuable messages struck my head strongly that I can’t get rid of it. It plays with the genre and has superb acting, while still having a somewhat predictable plot. “Humans are more terrifying and cruel than the zombies”