REVIEW | The taste is worth the wait at Toriyoshi-kun Ramen

Toriyoshi-kun storefront. The long line dissipated instantaneously after the last bowl of noodle was sold. [IAN HUANG/THE BLUE & GOLD]

The long line stretches all the way around the corner of the street until the last bowl of ramen sells out at the still-famous Toriyoshi-kun Ramen. It has been like this ever since the store opened a few years ago. 
Perhaps the store did well on online advertisements, or perhaps its ramen is just that good. The store is famous for its chicken-based broth accompanied by chicken cchar siu. During lunch hours, starting at 11:30 a.m., the ramen options are white soup ramen, a light flavored broth and a dry noodle. In the evening, starting at 5:30 p.m., there are light, medium and thick broth options. 
The medium and white soup is more along the line of normal heavier flavor ramen soups while the thick soup’s broth is closer to a paste. The diced ingredients of onion and scallion accompanied by a slice of sour lemon add a refreshing flavor that balances with the saltier taste. Pitchers of ice water near the table help lighten the flavor while orderable rice bowls and additional servings of char siu or noodle help fill those with a larger appetite. “While it’s a ramen shop in Taiwan, the flavor is still similar to those I had in Japan,” Daolong Y. (‘21) who visited the shop said. 
After waiting from anywhere between half an hour to more than an hour, you will be invited into a seating area within the store, where an ordering machine is used for ordering, before finally being able to sit down and eat. The staff is professional, but not excessively friendly. The seatings are counter seatings and customers are expected to wipe the table themselves before leaving (cloths are placed on top of the counters). The food does come fast.
Overall, the chicken broth provides a unique flavor less common in traditional ramen shops around Taipei, making this store worth trying.