How to find college scholarships

As tuition fees reach an unprecedented level every year, the cost of college is becoming a challenge for an increasing number of families. In 2021, the average annual tuition and fees for a public college as an out-of-state student is USD$22,698, and that for a private college has reached USD$38,185, according to U.S. News data.

In attempt to relieve students’ financial constraints, many schools offer financial aid and scholarships, based on either need or merit. While need-based scholarships require an external application or request, merit-based scholarships are often part of the admissions process: a student will be automatically considered for merit scholarships just by virtue of application.

Private scholarships, granted by companies, service groups, foundations, organizations and individuals, are also available for financial support. Their criteria are often very narrow; international students without U.S. citizenship rarely qualify for scholarships based in the U.S. Most private scholarships that Taipei American School students could apply for may not be substantial in value, ranging from a few hundred dollars to, at most, a few thousand dollars. However, their cumulative sum may offer appreciable aid, by eliminating college expenses beyond tuition, such as books, or the amount of student loans you may have to borrow. 

Fastweb is a good resource to search for private scholarships by specific characteristics, according to your unique strengths and interests. It also has a database that helps you find schools within your budget range and articles that offer general financial aid advice.

The following are U.S. colleges that offer merit-based scholarships. You may want to consider them if financial aid is a strong consideration for your college selection. 

1. University of Alabama 
  2. Arizona State University 
  3. Auburn University 
  4. University of California- Berkeley
  5. University of Colorado at Boulder
  6. Georgia Tech
  7. University of Michigan- Ann Arbor
  8. University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill
  9. University of Virginia
  10. College of William and Mary 
  11. Boston College 
  12. Boston University 
  13. Brandeis College 
  14. Carnegie Mellon University
  15. Case Western Reserve University 
  16. Duke University
  17. Elon University
  18. Georgetown University 
  19. Lehigh University 
  20. New York University 
  21. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
  22. Southern Methodist University 
  23. University of Chicago
  24. University of Miami
  25. University of Rochester 
  26. University of Southern California 
  27. Tulane University
  28. Vanderbilt University
  29. Denison University
  30. Kenyon College 
  31. Macalester College
  32. Grinnell College
  33. Oberlin College