Culture Appreciation: TAS Hosts the African American Film Festival

This Friday and Saturday, the African American Film Festival will on the 3rd floor of the D block and in the lecture hall on the fourth floor.

“Our goals include providing entertainment for all ages, enhancing the TAS community’s awareness and appreciation of African American history, cultures, and talented people,” says Mr. Arnold.

TAS has commemorated African American History Month for nearly 30 years and the film festival has been around for almost 20 years.

In fact, this is the first year that some English and History courses are providing extra credit opportunities for watching these movies.

He says, “Hopefully students, parents, and faculty members will share new insights, interests, and continue to learn about diversity.”

There is even a selection of films just for children and families: “Sounder,” “Follow the Drinking Gourd”, “John Henry,” “The Piano Lesson,” and more.

Some of the classics that will be shown are:  “Amistad”, “Glory”, “The Butler,” “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner,” “Remember the Titans,” “The Great Debaters,” “Something the Lord Made,” and the popular “Fruitvale Station.”

There will even be documentaries and biographies: “Desert Flower” and “The Loving Story”.

Mr. Arnold says, “We have new films each year. I’m looking forward to having ‘Selma’ as a featured movie next year.”

The new films this year are “12 Years A Slave” from 2013 and “Get On Up” from 2014.

There is no admission fee for this event and refreshments will provided.

The showtimes for Friday are at 4pm and 7pm and the showtimes for Saturday are at 10am,  2am, and 7pm.

Photo Courtesy of MovieBoozer