Pink Out on Halloween

On the last day of October, Cancer Society encouraged everyone to wear a piece of clothing that is pink. Pink is the color of breast cancer awareness and since October is breast cancer awareness month, the officers of TAS Cancer Society thought encouraging everyone to wear pink would be a great way to spread awareness of breast cancer.

Breast cancer is one of the most common cancers as it is ranked number 2 in the world for having most people diagnosed in 2012. In the United States, where it is ranked number 9 in the world for highest incidence for breast cancer, 1 in every 8 women is diagnosed with cancer in her lifetime. Despite its commonality in females, males are also victims and may be diagnosed with breast cancer. Cancer.org has stated, around 440 men die from being diagnosed with breast cancer per year in the United States. It is also estimated that 2600 men in America will be diagnosed with breast cancer every year.

Because it was the first year for TAS to do a Pink Out day, the officers were anxious about whether or not the students will wear pink. “At first I was really nervous about the turnout of Pink Out, and I wasn’t really sure if people were going to remember to wear pink. So I tried my best to promote it through social media like snapchat and facebook” says Catherine Chang (10), the activities head of TAS Cancer Society.

After a successful Pink Out, Cancer Society officers are looking forward to wearing pink on every October to spread breast cancer awareness. For improvements, Catherine Chang says, “Next year, I wish we can pick a day that is not a Monday because after a weekend, people will forget.”

Overall, Pink Out for 2016 was a memorable day for the Cancer Society Officers. “Thank you everyone for wearing pink. It actually turned out a lot better than I expected. And I think it’s great that everyone is aware of this issue and supporting this” says Evan Peng (12), the vice president of the club.