Seniors raise funds for Mustache Movember

In a continuation of their yearly tradition, the Class of 2018 has raised over $59,000 NT ($1,900 US) in fundraising efforts for Mustache Movember, a campaign for men’s health issues. While many faculty members at Taipei American School from all departments and grade levels have contributed the cause, this year’s seniors are the first to create a class-wide campaign.
They began to raise funds annually in their freshman year at the encouragement of adviser Mr. Brandon Maguire, a long-time participant in Mustache Movember. The senior class has generally raised from $20,000 to $30,000 ($600-1000 US) per year for this cause, according to class president Julian Lee (’18). However, they have doubled their total proceeds in their final year at TAS.
“It was a great chance for the whole class to unify for a good cause,” says Janice Yang (’18), the senior class president. “Another added bonus is that Mr. Maguire always provides the advisory group who donated the most with his secret-recipe whoopie-pies!”
Mr. Nathan Paxton, Ms. Deborah Flemming, Mr. Jaami Franklin, and Ms. Michelle Kao’s advisories earned the most this year for the campaign. All of the proceeds will go to the Movember Foundation, which helps address issues like prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and suicide.