Talks with Teachers: Ms. Haynes

By Dylan Lee
How do you feel about TASMUN?
There are a couple things that is nice to host TASMUN here is that it lets many students participate, and also gives the high school students this opportunity for like leadership and organizing, so for everyone like the middle school kids, people who are organizing, people who are the chairs, people who are the delegates–and then for like all the preparations that the middle school students have to do that’s like a really good experience for them about practicing speaking, writing and working together.  So that’s a good opportunity of all the event getting ready.

What ways do you think TASMUN makes an impact?
I think, well, there is couple thing: they’re doing the research and understand the issue for each goal is something that probably..some of these issues are addressing regular school curriculums, like its nice to be able to learn something that you might not might not have already learned and become more aware of the issues that are addressed by the UN, that’s where the goals come from, from UN Sustainable Development Goals.  And then some students who aren’t necessarily used to standing out to speeches, and writing, umm having to write things based on what they hear and write something quickly that’s a difficult skill the MUN gives the people a chances to practice that.

What is your favorite part or thing about TASMUN?
I think watching the debate, like so many people participates and they talk about interesting topics, and the way that they know like the procedures, the language that they use the way the rules are set up to give everyone a chance to speak when the want to, and encourages them to collaborate with small groups, and like make a plan how how they can get their ideas across to other people–think it’s very interesting the whole system works, that’s my favorite.