Goal 10 | Recap of Day 1

The Goal 10 Committee addresses methods to reduce inequalities, and does this through decreasing the gap between different types of people people of different race, religion, and sex, and giving them the same rights. They debated topics such as child marriage, poverty.
Yasmin Hung, the head chair, said that she thinks the most important topic we should pay more attention to is combating child marriages. She said, “I’m a girl, and I’m extremely privileged and have opportunities to come to school and to attend MUN conferences. So I feel like child marriages relates directly to women and opportunities outside their household”
She also said that she thinks that Nepal is doing very well in terms of reducing inequalities. “A lot of girls were taught the importance of education. To value their work and have a role outside the household. And I feel like that’s an extremely cultural belief, which meant that the parents would have to teach the children or the teacher would have to teach the children this kind of concept. So I feel like that they’re trying to take a step toward reducing gender inequality.”
Umair Nizamudeen, the co-chair, said that he really enjoyed how everyone was making speeches, and “we had almost the entire house making speeches.” When asked about solutions to the issues, chair Dokyoung Ryoo said that in regards to child marriage “victims should also get resources” and there should be “help for current financial systems and loans given” and “education systems” in place to tackle the problem of child marriage.