TAS dancers shine during Pittsburgh National High School Dance Festival

Thirteen Taipei American School dancers traveled to Pittsburgh, U.S., from March 1 to March 5 for the National High School Dance Festival. The festival is an event that allows high school students worldwide to showcase their dancing, and audition for scholarships from companies and schools. The festival hosts master classes by dance professionals.
Chloe Yong (‘20) says, “At the dance festival, we took one to two classes every day at Point Park University, as well as two classes at Millenium Dance Complex. Other than classes, we also watched dance performances by other high schools and professors as well as our own Orbs team.” Orbs is one of the pieces performed by TAS dancers Maria Lin (‘20), Holly Chen (‘19), Aili Mok (‘20) and Genevieve Chan (‘20), choreographed by John Pennington from the Pennington Dance Company.
Peter Chiu (‘19) says, “I’ve learned more than I ever did; the facilities are amazing and everyone there is super nice. Everyone has the same mindset and drive like you to achieve [greater heights], which pushes you to improve faster and faster.” Holly says, “One of the most memorable parts of the dance festival was the audition, which was simultaneously nerve racking and exciting. I was challenged but also inspired by the other dancers and the atmosphere they created in the studio.”  Beyond helping her develop as a dancer, attending the dance festival also impacted Chloe as a person: “I gained more experience, confidence and self esteem and got the opportunity to dabble in different genres of dance I’ve never tried out before.” She concludes by saying, “The entire trip was very enjoyable and I definitely hope to go there again in my senior year.”